Over the coming months many of us will pack our bags for a well earned break. As such it is timely to remind us of some steps that we can all take to improve the security of our homes and property during this holiday period.
For those travelling:
- Have a friend, relative or trusted neighbour visit your property while you are away to remove post or visible signs that your property is vacant.
- An Post have a mail minder service where they can hold your post if required for a fee but they require a notice period to activate.
- Inform trusted neighbours that you will be away and make sure that they know who they can call if your alarm is activated.
- Cut grass before you leave and make sure bins are not left out for extended periods.
- If bringing your car, consider inviting a neighbour to use your driveway while you are away.
For those at home:
- Pay additional attention to unusual vehicles and visitors to your road.
- Be alert to alarm activations:
- Take the time to investigate while maintaining your own safety and being conscious of your neighbour’s privacy.
- Contact the nominated key holder (if known) or check with other neighbours.
- Summer time frequently sees a higher level of contractors in the area – garden landscaping, gutters and other services. Be alert for bogus callers and do not engage with contractors that are unknown to you unless recommended by someone that you trust.
- If you see something suspicious contact the Gardaí in Blanchardstown on 01 6667000 and inform your neighbourhood watch street coordinator.
We have also added the Garda information sheet on holiday security to our security tips page.
We hope that you all have an enjoyable and safe summer.
You must be logged in to post a comment.