Holiday time is here for many of us (at least between the showers). With even the best holidays it is always good to come home and it is always a relief to open the front door to a house that is safe. While we cannot control the weather, we can all take some sensible steps to keep safe over the coming months.
For those heading off:
- Inform close neighbours that you will be away and let them know who they can call if your alarm is activated.
- Have a friend or neighbour check on your home and remove visible post.
- Make sure that pets are properly cared for and are not left alone.
- Cut grass before you leave and ask a neighbour to bring in your bins if necessary.
For those at home:
- Be alert to alarm activations and take the time to investigate while maintaining your own safety and being conscious of your neighbour’s privacy.
- Contact the nominated key holder (if known) or check with other neighbours.
- Be alert for suspicious characters and bogus callers in the area.
- If you do see something suspicious contact the Gardaí in Blanchardstown on 01 6667000 and inform your neighbourhood watch street coordinator.
Have a wonderful holiday.